Login +41 71 992 62 62
CLEANING AND CARE
Preparing a new paintbrush
Almost every new paintbrush contains a few loose bristles left over from the manufacturing process. The can easily be worked out by running the brush over the palm of your hand or even a rough piece of wood a few times and then running your fingers through the brush head. Briefly rinse the paintbrush with water or in the respective solvent. Afterwards it will be easy to pull out the loose bristles. Subsequently, a high-quality paintbrush that is properly looked after should not shed any more bristles.
Cleaning straight after completing the work
- Squeeze and wipe away any paint from the brush
- Depending on the type of paint, rinse with water or a mild solvent/brush cleaner
- In addition, rinse the paintbrush with curd soap/soft soap (maybe a mild detergent or washing-up liquid) and dry either suspended or with the handle facing down (never leave standing on the bristle tips for a longer period of time!).
Let the paintbrush dry at a normal temperature. Don’t place it on top of the radiator or similar. Only use the brush again once it has dried well.
Storing the paintbrush for a short time
If you stop working for a short period, paintbrushes may be stored in water or solvent-containing substances (not covering the handle). Paintbrushes can also be kept fresh for a short period in plastic film or aluminium foil.
Oil paint/synthetic resin brushes (storage)
Oil paint brushes can be placed in water (not covering the handle), whilst synthetic resin brushes (varnish brushes) should be stored with a small amount of solvent in a brush box, which can be sealed tightly. Thus, the brushes are stored in the solvent vapour, preventing the formation of “paintbrush lice” (clumps of paint/matting).
Being a natural product, when handled/cleaned and stored incorrectly, the natural bristles and hair (this also applies to lambskin) are particularly sensitive to the following:
- Alkaline, fat-dissolving and acidic substances
- Bacteria/fungal colonies (decay)
- Being left standing in water for too long